Easy, Un-Cheesy Italian Pizza Bites

February 1, 2012

I am always hesitant to describe something without cheese as being anything like pizza. Too many times I saw a new recipe and thought I had found something like cheese (because the name suggested this) which would have the same taste, texture, and heavenly melted cheese smell and stretch factor that I had missed so much since giving up dairy. Each time, no matter how good the recipe was, I was disappointed because in my experience so far, nothing dairy-free really tastes and feels like real cheese pizza. Because of this, I haven’t known what to call this creation, and therefore, I have kept it as a favorite snack for Ben and me for months without sharing it with the rest of you.

However, if you are looking for something with a crispy thin crust, a bit of sweetness and spice from the tomato sauce, and a tiny bit of cheesy flavor without all of the fat and calories in real pizza, then I think you will really enjoy these. And if you have anyone on a low-fat, dairy-free, or vegan diet attending your Superbowl party, then these are just the ticket.

The only problem is that these are one of Ben’s favorite snacks, and he can’t have them at the moment because of the tomato. Sorry to post these when you can’t eat them, Ben!

Easy Un-Cheesy Italian Pizza Bites

Easy Un-Cheesy Italian Pizza Bites

Serves: makes 8 small slices

Ingredients:

2 plain tortillas

approximately 2-3 tsp tomato paste/puree

approximately 4-5 tbsp nutritional (brewer’s) yeast

1/2 tsp italian dried spice mix (mostly made of basil and oregano)

1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes (red pepper flakes) – these are very spicy, so use less if you are sensitive to spicy foods. I just sprinkle a fine layer over the top of the nutritional yeast.

salt and pepper to taste – I use just a very light sprinkle of salt, and a generous amount of freshly ground back pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to approximately 200 degrees F.

Place two tortillas on a baking tray. On each tortilla, spread a thin layer of tomato paste across half. On top of the tomato paste, sprinkle nutritional yeast, then the spices and salt and pepper. You can adjust the seasonings as desired.

After adding toppings, fold the side without tomato paste and toppings over on top of the tomato and spice side.

Place in the oven for approximately ten minutes until the tortilla is crispy and slightly brown. Then use a pizza cutter to slice each tortilla into four slices.

Note: You can actually cover the whole tortilla with tomato, nutritional yeast, and spices and bake without covering, but it is messier to eat because the nutritional yeast is more likely to fall off if there isn’t a cover on top of the nutritional yeast. Additionally, I am used to making single servings of this using just one tortilla, but you could cover an entire tortilla with tomato paste, nutritional yeast, and spices, and then cover with another tortilla rather than folding over.

Enjoy as a tasty everyday snack, appetizer, part of your lunch, or Superbowl (Super Bowl) snack!

Now, do yourselves a favor and buy a couple of avocados next time you are at the store. I have my mom’s permission to share her delicious guacamole recipe tomorrow, just in time for the Super Bowl!! However, avocados can take at least a few days to ripen.

IBS Note: These are great for me because they are so quick to make, and the tortillas provide soluble fiber, and they are very low in fat. I often make myself one of these tortillas if I am really hungry and still need to cook lunch or dinner without letting myself get to the too-hungry point.

1. February 1, 2012 9:21 pm

Yum! I think my husband would love these because he loves pizza, but is lactose intolerant and actually (aside from pizza) can’t stand cheese.

• February 1, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Erica,

That sounds like a perfect fit! These do have sort of a pizza flavor (with a very slightly cheesy taste, but as I said in my post, I am always hesitant to say they are actually cheesy, because as much as I would like them to be, they aren’t anything like real cheese.

Hope you both enjoy them!

~Emily~

2. February 1, 2012 9:56 pm

They look so quick and easy!? Might give it a go (or maybe the kids can try it while Dad gives advice)

• February 1, 2012 10:01 pm

Haha. Yep, these really are incredibly easy. They would be fun to make with kids (or by kids) – maybe I shouldn’t admit this, but I actually still enjoy making shapes as I squeeze out the tomato paste and then smear it around! 🙂

Hope you enjoy them!

~Emily~

3. February 2, 2012 2:09 am

I LOVE nutritional yeast! Pizza or not, I think it tastes amazing as a good cheesey sub. This looks so good to me right now! Perfect make shift pizza! Thanks for your comment to me earlier today on running and for the stretches. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that!

• February 2, 2012 10:54 am

Of course, Sarena! 🙂

And I hope you enjoy these! I love them, but just hate giving people the impression that nutritional yeast really is just like cheese.

Have a good Thursday!
      ~Emily~

4. February 2, 2012 3:59 am

I agree that it’s SO hard to make a recipe without cheese. Looks like you were successful! cheese is seriously the hardest food in the world to replicate. The taste, the texture, the feeling it gets one. Ahhhh, nice work! That vineyard we visited in England was called Denbies, Vineyard. It was in Dorking (I believe). The tour was great. The guide said it’s the biggest vineyard in the country. They also only produce white wine and also Englands version of Champange. They can’t call it Champagne (can’t remember the reason), but that’s the other drink they make. We were so excited to bring home 2 bottles, and as we were turning in our rental car, one of them fell out and shattered on the pavement at the airport. Suffice to say we made it home with one, and are still waiting to drink it on a special occasion! If you guys do go, I’d suggest taking the train. The area was pretty far out in the middle of nowhere, but a train station was right in town.After only driving in the US, we were pretty terrified driving on those back country roads that are one lane. Actually, it was terrifying every second! Either way, we LOVED everything about the English countryside, and this vineyard was a great day trip. I know you can stay on the grounds, but we couldn’t because there was no room. We ended up staying at a B &B outside of the town in Peaselake (probably not even on a map), and also an old manor (possibly haunted) in another town. Both incredible places to stay, and I can try and dig them up if you’re interested. So jealous you actually get to live there!!!

• February 2, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Emily!

Thanks for remembering about the vineyard. I just did a Google search and found it, and it looks wonderful! Unfortunately, I don’t think we will be going in the next few months (we need to get jobs sorted out and money coming in again), but if you don’t mind, I will ask you for more details when we get to a point where we can actually make it happen!

Hope your week is going well!

~Emily~

5. February 2, 2012 2:04 pm

I love your pictures! My family and I always make these pizza bites when we’re in a rush or don’t feel like making pizza dough. ^^

• February 2, 2012 2:37 pm

Thank you! I just had a peek at your blog, and I love the bento boxes! You are so creative and artistic!

Trackbacks