Mom’s Guacamole, plus Spicy Tortilla Crisps

February 2, 2012

There are far too many wonderful things about going home to mention all of them in this post… Most of all, of course, I love being able to spend time with my family and friends.

I also love the weather – the sunshine and hot weather in the summer, and the sunshine and snow in the winter, I love all of the outdoor activities we do – swimming, fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, I love being able to watch American sports on tv, I love all of the amazing deals when shopping for clothes, I love how friendly people are, and I love many, many more things about being home.

However, if I had to put things in order, after seeing family and friends, the second best thing about being home is, without a doubt, my mom’s cooking. My grandma is a wonderful cook, my mom is a wonderful cook, and my interest in food and cooking definitely comes from growing up watching my mom cook, and being surrounded by fresh, healthy, interesting, delicious food at all times.

Now, my mom is one of those incredible cooks who doesn’t measure very many things. She just knows how much of each ingredient to put in, and how much will taste the best. Therefore, the measurements in this recipe are approximate, and this recipe is very adjustable to suit your own tastes. However, I have tried to replicate my mom’s guacamole and estimate the measurements so that you can try one of my favorite foods in the world – just in time for the Super Bowl (which will be on at 10:30pm here in England)!

Mom’s Guacamole

Mom’s Guacamole

Serves: This probably should serve about six people, but it is so delicious that I honestly could eat half of it myself.

Ingredients:

2 ripe avocados, without pits or peels

several ripe cherry/grape tomatoes, chopped

fresh cilantro (called coriander in the UK) – approximately 2-3 tbsp, chopped

salsa – approximately 1 tbsp

lime juice – approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of a lime

chilli powder, garlic powder, and salt, to taste (I used approximately 1/4 tsp of each)

Directions:

Cut each avocado in half the long way (i.e., start cutting at the top where the avocado would have attached to the tree), then when you have cut all the way around, and up to the pit, hold the two sides of the avocado so that when you twist gently, the halves will separate.

Set the pits aside (but keep at least one of them), and scoop out the flesh of the avocados into a bowl. Mash until the avocado has reached your desired consistency, then add the other ingredients, and stir.

This guacamole is delicious with tortilla chips of all sorts, on sandwiches, with tacos, fajitas, or nachos, and I have now discovered that it is also delicious with puff pastry poppers. I think it’s good with pretty much everything.

Therefore, it was no big surprise that it was really good with these spicy tortilla crisps, but I think it makes the dish a bit more fun, and it adds some extra spice.

Spicy Tortilla Crisps

Spicy Tortilla Crisps

These are made actually exactly like the Easy, Un-Cheesy Italian Pizza Bites I posted yesterday, so you can look at how to make them there, except that I used a very small amount of olive oil in place of the tomato paste, and I used less of the Italian seasoning.

You can garnish with lime slices, coriander, and a very small sprinkle of chilli powder if you like, in order to dress up this green appetizer.

And, although this dip is best made immediately before eating, if you need to store it for a few hours, then placing an avocado pit in the bowl while you store it will help the guacamole to keep its green color rather than turning brown. I have no idea why this helps, but it does.

Thanks for the recipe, Mom! Wish we could be there to watch the big game with all of you (and eat your amazing food) on Sunday. 🙂

IBS Note: Avocados are high in healthy fats, and they are also a source of soluble fiber (good for IBS). If your stomach is really sensitive to high fat foods, then you may want to eat this in moderation, but I have never had any problems with homemade guacamole.

1. Amber permalink
    February 2, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh my! I love guacamole!! I will definitely be trying this very soon! Thank you Kate and Emily for sharing her recipe!! And I had no idea about putting the pit back in. What a great idea! Hope you are doing well!

amber

2. February 3, 2012 12:34 am

LOVE avocados. Yeah, I’d probably eat the whole recipe in one sitting…haha. It’s pretty rare that a day goes by without me consuming an entire avocado. 🙂 I have no shame!

3. February 3, 2012 1:50 am

that guac looks fabulous!

4. February 8, 2012 4:41 pm

I saw the title and was going to ask to what extent avocados and guacamole have become as popular in the U.K. as they are in the U.S., and you can still answer that, but now I see that you’re from America; you give that away when, despite the word crisps in the title, you write tortilla chips within the body of the post.

I don’t know where in the U.S. you’re from, but if you’d like to warm up with some of the wildflowers that have been appearing in central Texas, you’re welcome to have at glance at

• February 8, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your comment, and the link to your blog. Your photos are incredible!!!

I am from Wisconsin, so a long way from Texas, but from this far away, seeing your pictures still feels like a taste of home. 🙂

In terms of your question, guacamole does exist here, but it is definitely not anywhere near as popular or as widely available/made as it is in the US. And yes, I still go back and forth between chips and crisps!

~Emily~

• February 8, 2012 5:46 pm

Maybe you can combine the two and say chisp, which coincidentally reminds me of the Spanish word chispa that means ‘spark’.

If you were in Wisconsin now you’d still be pining away for the kind of warm weather and wildflowers we’re seeing in Austin, and the U.K. might even be milder than Wisconsin. I hope you’ll get a chance to explore the English countryside once spring comes and see what the native wildflowers there are like.

• February 8, 2012 6:38 pm

Yes, winters in Wisconsin do get very long! But I must admit, I like the snow (for a while) and I find it harder to cope with the gray, rainy days here than the snowy, sunny days in Wisconsin. I will make sure to post some pictures of English wildflowers when they are blooming. 🙂

Trackbacks

1. My Favorite Things | posts I loved this week | 12 October 2012 » Driftless Living Photography | Southwestern Wisconsin Lifestyle Photography | Annika Swenson