Go-to Meal – Easy Thai Red Curry

February 7, 2012

I love to cook. I mean, I seriously love to cook. However, there are plenty of nights when I want something healthy and filling for dinner, but I don’t feel like making anything which involves very much effort.

One of my very favorite go-to meals on these occasions is Thai Red Curry. I have hesitated to share this on the blog because it feels more like a meal suggestion than a recipe, but I figured we all need inspiration once in a while, and when Ben and I were eating this last night and going on and on about how much we love it, I thought it was probably time to share the idea.

The photos are from several weeks ago (when Ben could still eat tofu) and the photos aren’t the best, but the whole point of this meal is that it is relatively quick and easy to throw together, and I am always too hungry and excited about eating it to spend very much time taking pictures…because it is so DELICIOUS!

Thai Red Curry

Thai Red Curry

Serves: 2 (with lunch for at least 1 left-over) or 3. It should maybe serve 4, but the truth is, we always eat at least a third each.

Tofu or meat (optional, as this could be made with just veggies) – we usually use one pack of tofu for two of us, or last night we used Quorn chicken style pieces since they are meat, dairy, and soy free

Veggies of choice (my favorite quick combination is a bell pepper, a courgette/zucchini, and some green beans)

1 tin coconut milk (light or regular)

approximately 3 tbsp red Thai curry paste (I prefer the taste of the brands that don’t use anchovies or fish sauce in the ingredients)

rice (1 cup uncooked)

Directions:

Start your rice cooking by placing 1 cup of uncooked rice in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Cover and heat the mixture to simmering, then turn down to a low simmer until the water is all absorbed. Once you have made this recipe before, everything should be ready around the same time that the rice is finished cooking.

If using tofu, I would recommend following Daily Garnish’s Tofu Tutorial, although I usually leave out the salt and pepper unless eating the tofu on its own, and I am not patient enough to leave the tofu pressed under a book for so long, so I just remove as much water as I can using a tea towel or paper towels and my hands (instead of a book) for a couple of minutes. The more water you remove, the crisper the tofu gets when you cook it, though, so it is worth spending a bit of time on this.

Chop your veggies, or use pre-chopped or frozen veggies (if using frozen, you may want to cook them separately first to get rid of some the water).

Cook your tofu or meat (if using) until it is cooked through. Then add your vegetables and cook for a few more minutes.

Once the veggies cooked (I don’t like them very well done as I like them a bit crunchy still), add the curry paste and coconut milk and stir together thoroughly. Continue to cook until heated through.

Don’t forget to check your rice throughout the process, and when all of the water is absorbed, you can just turn the rice off and leave it covered to keep it warm.

Serve the red Thai curry (with plenty of the sauce) over the rice, and enjoy! That is one weeknight dinner solved. 🙂

IBS Note: Some people with IBS find spicy foods difficult to tolerate. Luckily, this doesn’t seem to be a major issue for me, but most Thai red curry pastes are not overly spicy (unlike some other curry pastes), and you can use less of the curry paste if need be. In addition, if you are very sensitive to foods higher in fat, you can use light coconut milk to make this quite a low fat meal.

1. February 7, 2012 10:18 pm

Curry is never pretty to photograph, but really tasty to eat! I, luckily, can have spice even with IBS. I love heat in my food! This sounds amazing!

• February 7, 2012 10:24 pm

Haha, very true about the photography, but it really is one of my very favorite meals! And I agree – I feel very lucky that spice isn’t a problem for me!

I just realized, however, that curry paste may not be as readily available in most US supermarkets. Have you seen/used it very much? Over here it is everywhere, but that is because Indian food is everywhere.

Hope your week is going well, Sarena!

~Emily~

2. February 7, 2012 10:24 pm

I love your blog and I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!

3. February 7, 2012 10:24 pm

This sounds wonderful:)

4. Kelly Mayberry permalink
    February 8, 2012 2:14 am

That looks really good! I am definitely going to try that!

• February 8, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Kelly!

So nice to hear from you! Hope you enjoy the curry, and have a good week. 🙂

Miss you guys!
      ~Em~

5. February 8, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks for the link to that post about the Tofu. I am going to cook it for the FIRST TIME tonight! I’ve actually never ever tried tofu, so I hope I cook it right! Any suggestions what to eat it with for the first time? I don’t have the ingredients to maker his Thai Red Curry 😦

• February 8, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Lauren,

I am so excited for you. I absolutely love tofu! However, I would follow the tutorial I linked to as closely as you can the first couple of times you make it because tofu is really heavily influenced by the way it is cooked, and in my opinion, it is okay but not noteworthy if it isn’t crispy. Once you are more comfortable cooking it, then you can play around with it and see what you like. Did you get firm or extra firm tofu? Either of those is great, but hopefully it’s not silken tofu if you are cooking it on its own?

In terms of what to have it with, I actually really like the flavor even without anything added, but the main benefit of tofu is that it really soaks up any flavors you add. It is great in a stir fry with soy sauce (here is one of my favorite stir-fry marinade recipes, although you can just use soy sauce: http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/02/page/26), or I often cook it according to the tutorial and then when it is crispy, I add barbecue sauce to the pan and coat each piece in the sauce. I like to serve this with some sort of rice, or I often have barbecue tofu alongside a baked sweet potato and some salad. It sounds like a strange combination, but my boyfriend and I both love it.

Hope you enjoy it! I’d love to hear what you think.

~Emily~

Trackbacks

1. Versatile Blogger Award February 2012:) « alternativeeating
  2. A Bangkok Thai Cooking Adventure — The Best Way to Blow Fifty Bucks In Bangkok! « SALUT! Food & Wine Adventures
  3. Fish Red Curry « Rhianna's Guide to Ethical Eating