What I Love About My Love

February 14, 2012

I feel incredibly lucky that I have ALWAYS known what it felt like to be loved unconditionally and wholeheartedly. My brothers and sister, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, family friends, and most of all, my parents, have shown me the meaning of love from before I was even born, and every single day since.

Nonetheless, I don’t think I’m the only person who ever wondered what it would be like to be in love. I had my share of crushes over the years, and I had lots of ideas about what being in love would be like. Some of those ideas turned out to be true for me, and some of them didn’t. But never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find a love as inspiring, empowering, and fulfilling as the love I have found. And I would not trade one day of my relationship with Ben for anything.

So, at the risk of sounding clichΓ©, I figured that Valentine’s Day was as good a time as any to tell you a few of the things I love most about our love (and hopefully it makes up for the fact that I didn’t get Ben a card this year ;-)). I could probably go on about this for ages, so I have limited myself to five things, in no particular order…

We enjoy travel and adventure.Β We both love to travel, see new places, and visit family and friends. Unless I am forgetting any, we have now visited six countries (not including trips within England and Wales) and seven states together (over six trips to the US) in the past almost three years. We have set up a home together, and given up that home to spend the past year traveling and exploring long-term career options. And although it hasn’t been easy at times, I love that both of us have adventurous spirits, and that we would both prefer to strive for the best rather than settle for just being comfortable.

Every day is brighter. I would probably embarrass him if I went into too much detail, but I will just say that I don’t know where I would be without Ben’s support the past few years. And I can tell you that I would definitely not have laughed nearly as much without him there to make me smile and see the lighter side of life.

I see more beauty in everyday things. I have learned to slow down and enjoy the beauty in everyday life more than I ever did before. I have found new hobbies, and I see the world in a slightly different way.

We enjoy the simple things. I said earlier that we enjoy adventure and striving for the best. But we also enjoy the simple things in life at least as much. One of my very favorite things to do is cook and then sit down for a nice breakfast together on the weekends and just have time to talk and laugh together.

Most of all, I am more me. Ben has helped me to learn to love who I am. I am not saying I don’t have a few things I would like to work on, but I have lost some of the self-doubt and self-consciousness which used to hold me back from being fully myself. I am happier in my own skin, and I stand taller than ever before with Ben by my side.

Happy Valentine’s Day, Ben! Thank you for all that you do for me every day of the year.

And Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you! Whether you are single, in a relationship, married, or anything else in between, I hope you have a wonderful day.

1. Melisa permalink
    February 14, 2012 3:38 pm

That was (almost) the nicest valentine I ever read. You two BOTH rock! Happy Day.

• February 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you, Melisa! Happy Valentine’s Day to you too. πŸ™‚ And thanks for being one of the people who has loved me all along the way!

• February 15, 2012 12:58 am

Dear EP,

I’m digging the enthusiastic, hopeful tone in which you write. Also, the photos look fantastic.

-Chris

2. February 15, 2012 10:50 am

Happy Belated Valentines Day! This is endearing post! πŸ™‚ This was my first Valentines Day a single lady since I was 19, and I thought I would be a little bitter, but honestly, I am just really happy to be by myself at this time in my life, and reading post like this makes me look forward to being in a relationship someday – when it is right for me. Thanks for sharing! It made me smile a little. πŸ™‚

• February 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you Jordan! I am really glad to hear you are happy with your life just as it is at the moment. It sounds very fun and exciting from your blog. πŸ™‚ Unfortunately, Valentine’s Day CAN (but doesn’t have to) be a difficult day to be single…but I think it can also be a good day to realize that you are happy with yourself. I do believe that my relationship has made me a happier and better person in lots of ways, but I don’t think I could have been happy in my relationship if I wasn’t happy with myself first. This is one of my favorite inspiring posts on that topic: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/14/without-self-love-i-have-nothing/ . And although being single can be difficult at times (as can being in a relationship), I really do believe that the years I spent single were really important for me.

~Emily~

P.S. I was the opposite of you – not really any serious relationships until Ben…so I have had my fair share of single (and some bitter) Valentine’s Days. πŸ™‚

3. February 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Aw, this is so sweet! πŸ™‚