Feel Good Friday

February 25, 2012

I’m a bit behind again, but oh my goodness, did it feel good to know that it was Friday yesterday! Don’t get me wrong – I really did enjoy work last week. In fact, the work days flew by and I wouldn’t have even minded working more hours than I did. However, the traveling back and forth really tired me out. I had expected the train journeys to be relaxing at least, but what I didn’t plan for was just how busy they would be. I was lucky enough to have a seat (although the seats were cramped because they were all full) for every train ride except the one on my way home last night, where I was standing in the doorway with 12 other people, all wedged in, trying to figure out how to stand as comfortably as possible without moving more than a few inches, and where to look other than at each other, for the 40 minute journey. That’s not to mention that we were all trying to stand up when the train moved sideways, trying not to accidentally lean against the button which opened the door to the bathroom (which smelled), having one person’s iPod blaring so loudly that we could all hear his music, or the smell of alcohol radiating from a couple of the passengers. Anyway, suffice it to say that I was very happy not to be making the same journey again today!

So although it is a day late, I thought it was still worth celebrating the end of my first work week with a Feel Good Friday post.

Feel Good Photo: My grandpa turned 91 yesterday, so in his honor, I wanted to post a photo from our family safari we took with him in Tanzania a few years ago. I didn’t have my nice camera at that point, but it was difficult not to take amazing pictures because the scenery and the animals were so incredible, as was the company, of course. 🙂 Here is one of my favorites which I took of an elephant in Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania.

I hope you had a wonderful birthday yesterday, Grandpa, and I hope to still be going on safaris at 91 like you!

Feel Good Song: This is a bit of a random choice, but I first heard this song (or remembered it) when one of my very best friends who I grew up with walked down the aisle to this song in her wedding. I really loved the song, and watching Jen walk down the aisle made it ten times better! It is Patty Griffin’s ‘Heavenly Day’.

Feel Good Drink: I was given a tin of this tilleul tea with mint by my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas, and I have been desperately trying to savor it. However, I used up the last of it this past week. Thank you so much, Si and Kelly! I have really enjoyed it! Not only is the tea delicious, but the tea bags feel very luxurious rather than the normal paper tea bags.

Image Source

That’s it for today! Hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend!

1. February 26, 2012 7:42 pm

It sounds like you are really enjoying your job! I can’t say I have ever had a job I truly loved, but if I ever find one I would hold on tight! I wouldn’t like that commute either though, it sounds pretty stressful! Public transportation is nice, but not the best.

• February 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Amber,

I do feel incredibly lucky to be excited about my job. It is only my first week, but it feels amazing to be kind of looking forward to the work week on a Sunday night. Especially considering the commute! I hope you find a job you love. I know everyone has a different philosophy on work, but we spend a lot of our lives working! 🙂

Hope you’ve had a good weekend!
      ~Emily~

2. February 27, 2012 8:48 pm

This made me laugh! Your other half never mentioned the joys of the British commute!? Little wonder. But rest assured you’ve got it easy. London commuting is hell. Seriously. Thats why I drive, apologies to the environment etc.

• March 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Sorry it’s taken me nearly a month to reply! But yes, I can imagine that it’s much worse in London. Isn’t the drive miserable with all of the traffic though?! I am now so happy to spend about 20-30 minutes on the bus every morning, usually with the seat next to me free!

3. February 28, 2012 10:40 am

Your commute sounds interesting – to say the least! When I worked in DC, the commute was similar although I don’t think it was quite as bad as what you described. However, I got a kindle, which is pretty easy to read with one hand and in tight spaces, and it really improved the quality of my commute. Good luck! Glad to hear you are liking the new job!

• March 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Jordan! Sorry for the LONG delay in replying, but I think a Kindle would have been a must-buy if I had been carrying on with that commute. Luckily my commute now is a breeze! And I have enough space to use a regular book with two hands, so for now, I can’t justify spending the money on a Kindle. Oh well. How are things with you?

4. February 28, 2012 9:24 pm

That song was exactly the calming song I needed to hear. I’m used to those crowded train rides, as I lived in Seoul for a few years. The people next to me who reeked of korean vodka and beer were the WORST. The gum smacking ajjumas were also pretty bad. I learned real quick to bring my own iPod and mints to drown out the sounds and smells around me.

• March 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I am finally catching up on comments and can’t believe I didn’t see this one before. That commute sounds absolutely miserable! Since you aren’t still commuting amidst the Korean vodka and beer, I hope it’s okay that your story made me laugh. 🙂

5. March 2, 2012 1:28 am

happy bday to your grandpa!