Skip to content

UK Bank Holiday Weekend

May 6, 2013

Apologies in advance to anyone who is not in a country currently  enjoying a long weekend, but here in England, today is a bank holiday, which means no work for us me!

As you can see from what I wrote above, not all of us are enjoying a day off today. Ben has been hard at work as usual, and as a result, I had been kind of dreading the long weekend, as I knew that I would want to be out doing things but that I would also feel a bit stuck in/around the flat. In addition to Ben being busy working, someone drove into the back of Ben in the car a few weeks ago, and our car is still in the shop getting fixed. Luckily no one was injured, which is obviously the most important thing, but it has made transportation a bit more of a challenge!

Anyway, I knew that Saturday would be a fun day out, as I had arranged to meet up with my old flatmate, who I lived with for just about a year after I first moved to Manchester. It has now been a few years since I had seen her, and it was a real treat to catch up over a lovely lunch. This meant that Saturday morning I got up, had a nice leisurely breakfast, went to the gym, jogged up to our nearest green-grocer for some fresh produce and eggs, and then raced home to shower and get to the train.


Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures during my lunch out, but it was a lovely few hours of reminiscing and catching up with Ruth. I feel very lucky to have so many friends in all different parts of the country and world who I can catch up with after months or years of not seeing them and just pick up where we left off…and Ruth is definitely one of those!

Saturday evening when I got back, Ben had nearly finished working, so we were able to open a bottle of wine and sit at our table with the sunshine streaming through the open windows to have some snacks, then we went for a nice walk, and came home and watched “The Voice” and had a late dinner on the couch.

Sunday became a bit more of a challenge. I had lots of tasks I felt that I should catch up on, but it was an absolutely gorgeous day and I really wanted to get out and do something. I made the mistake of half-heartedly trying to catch up on the things that I felt needed doing but then resenting being stuck in the flat. However, I did manage to get some jobs done around the flat, we went for a nice long walk, and I baked a cake and we had a lovely dinner of black bean, mushroom, and onion burritos.


Dinner was followed by a visit from some good friends who live in our development (they used to be next door, but now that we moved, getting together requires a trip across the parking lot!). We watched the final two episodes of the tv show “Newsroom” together and had some cake and chatted and enjoyed the fact that none of us had to get up super early this morning for work!

I woke up this morning to sunshine, and I was determined not to spend another day stuck in the flat. I looked into buses and trains and tried to find an easy way to get out for a few hours. However, I quickly realised that this was either going to be expensive or time-consuming, and I decided to make the most of a day within walking distance of our flat. Ben and I went for a nice walk this morning, and when we got back, I decided to head out with my camera, which always keeps me busy for a while. There were so many gorgeous flowers and I took pictures until my camera battery ran out.


This is just a quick snap I took on my phone outside our flat, but I will share more of the flower pictures later in the week.

After my photo tour of the neighbourhood, I still wanted more fresh air and sunshine, so I decided to go for a jog rather than heading to the gym, and I managed to run about two and a quarter miles, which isn’t very far, but I was pleased with myself for running it because where we live, there is always a massive up-hill section, and my run today had a short warm-up section, then at least half a mile straight up a hill before it levelled off a bit and started the descent.

When I returned, I found a smiling Ben greeting me at the door. 🙂


Note: The only negative about my run was that I had tried to use a new program on my phone to track where I ran and how quickly I ran it, and it seemed to stop just seconds into my run. Therefore, I had to check the mileage when I got home. Does anyone have any suggestions for android programs to track running?

Ben took a long enough break after my run for us to have a relaxed lunch, and then I did some meal prep for lunches for the week, and after a few more hours with Ben working and me doing things around the flat, we have just returned from a nice long walk in the sunshine, and we are having a glass of wine each to finish off a bottle we opened earlier in the weekend, and we’re about to have some food and curl up on the couch for the evening.

I feel like I only figured out how to relax properly at the very end of the weekend, but now I am wishing for more days like this and lots more long weekends. I hope all of you have had a good weekend, whether it ended yesterday or it is still going.

P.S. I have just realised that this is my 100th blog post! Thanks for reading. 🙂

Leave a Reply (I love hearing from you and will try to write back, so please tick the box next to 'Notify me of follow-up comments via email' below in order to receive my reply).

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: