Life update…plus weekend meals

June 5, 2013

I feel like I start every post lately with an apology for not posting in a while, but I do feel like I have really neglected the blog lately. So, as usual, I’m sorry.

I don’t like to make excuses, but I realised that I have mostly just been posting pictures or recipes lately, so I thought I would update you on a few of the reasons why the past weeks have felt particularly busy. These include: Ben has been finishing lots of assignments and studying for finals for his MBA, I have been far busier at work than normal so I have been working longer days and doing some research on the weekends, I have started running more frequently in the evenings as well as on weekends, AND….we go away to visit my family in the US just a week from tomorrow and will be away for three weeks!!!

None of these things are bad…in fact, I have felt consistently happier and more energetic the past few weeks, presumably as a result of  running more (I’ll post more about running soon) and we can’t wait for out trip to the US. It’s just that all of these things take up time. And I can tell I’m feeling more stressed than usual as I’ve been having nightmares the past few nights. I have been  exhausted from running/climbing away from polar bears, lions, and bad guys by the time I wake up!

However, in spite of everything that is going on, I still seem to be finding plenty of time on the weekends to cook and bake. Here are a few pictures from this past weekend:

My purchases from our local greengrocer on Saturday morning…

DSC_1178

I had thought that ten nectarines might be too many, but we had five the week before and they were delicious. However,  it’s only Wednesday and we are nearly out. I will have to go for fifteen if they still look as good this week.

Friday night, I really didn’t sleep well and I was feeling exhausted all day Saturday. However, Saturday evening I managed to peel myself off the couch to do an exercise dvd, and then felt much better. However, I still wanted something comforting so I decided to make stew and home-made bread. The bread didn’t rise, but it was delicious anyway.

DSC_1198

We started off with the fresh, warm bread and garlic infused olive oil in a really cool dish my parents got us for Christmas. You rub a garlic clove against the grooves of the bowl and then pour olive oil on top. It is delicious as a dip for bread, and the bowl is made by a local artist where I grew up so it is extra fun to have.

DSC_1205

DSC_1209

This hearty lentil vegetable soup is quickly becoming one of my favorite veggie stews.

DSC_1212

And, what is more comforting on a summer evening than a dairy-free ice cream sundae?! I used dairy-free chocolate hazelnut spread and fresh raspberries on mine and Ben used chocolate sauce.

DSC_1217

Okay, can you believe that food was just from Saturday evening?

We started Sunday with a pancake breakfast with loads of fresh berries.

DSC_1230_2

DSC_1223

Followed by a lunch of fresh bread, parma ham, salad, Mediterranean vegetable kievs, hummus and celery sticks, and more fresh berries.

DSC_1238

Followed by a dinner of home-made dairy-free veggie Quiche (recipe to follow in an upcoming post).

DSC_1247

Okay, I have managed to make myself incredibly hungry now so I am off to make some dinner!

1. Amber permalink
    June 5, 2013 8:44 pm

That was funny, I was just going to say the same thing you said in the very last line! Wish I could come to your house to eat everyday!! Excited to hear you will be in town! We’ll have to make some time to catch up!

• June 9, 2013 8:11 pm

Haha. I wish you could come to my house to eat every day too! Can’t wait to see you very soon. 🙂

2. December 31, 2014 11:33 am

Diabetes is a dangerous disease and it can be cure by simply avoiding the
    foods that are dangerous for diabetics patients.
    Catering for the specific food allergies and dietary
    requirements of your people is not a problem, either. Dog walking a pet is
    also part of what proficient sitters do. Common examples are
    the baked items, various snacks, processed food items and
    fried food. Recession has hit different parts of the world, leaving different scales
    of impact. The central ingredient of your dog’s diet is fresh, meat.
    Obviously, you can’t afford to take a risk with the health of your partner and kids.

Many of us noticed a great deal involving information concerning your advantages of
    an healthful way of life such as the intake of natural and organic foodstuff.

3. January 8, 2015 9:19 pm

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find most
    of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for. Do
    you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn’t mind writing a
    post or elaborating on a few of the subjects
    you write about here. Again, awesome weblog!

4. January 29, 2015 9:23 pm

I was excited to discover this website. I wanted to thank you for your
    time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really
    liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new
    things on your web site.

5. February 3, 2015 4:14 pm

First off I would like to say wonderful blog!
    I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing.

I have had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out there.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out how to
    begin. Any ideas or tips? Thank you!